Friday, July 31, 2009

I have heard of many C dialects! Ansi C and few others that I can not remember! What is the difference?

And wich one is used on Unix/Linux systems??





I know just a litle about C and I made few programs and compiled them on linux, using gcc compiler!





Thanks

I have heard of many C dialects! Ansi C and few others that I can not remember! What is the difference?
Many C dialects? It's better to think of it this way: There's standard C. This standard is accepted by ANSI (a standards organization). Hence, standard C is also referred to as ANSI C. Every compiler's objective is to match this standard, and then perhaps add to it.





Thus, when we refer to variations in C, we refer to the variations introduced by the compilers. All compilers have varying degrees of support for the C standard (ideally full support), and many introduce their own extensions to the language like gcc and Visual C++.





Learn ANSI C. You should learn the standard language before delving into compiler differences.


No comments:

Post a Comment