Saturday, May 22, 2010

Why Linus Torvalds began to create Linux?

I was given 4 choices of answer and I try to search it in net , but unable to find any,I try wikipedia and few other site that tell about Linux





The choices :


a.He was hired as an operating system consultant by a major corporation


b.He wanted a powerful operating system but could not afford one


c.His professor required that each student create a basic operating system


d.He felt it would good career move





In my opinion c is the best answer, from one the website I went through said that his research paper when he is doing is master is entitle Linux. So I guess he create Linux at the first place as his university project. Pls link me the link to the website. Thank you

Why Linus Torvalds began to create Linux?
In his own words, his inspiration for creating Linux was to create a free Unix-based operating system. At the time, Unix was expensive to obtain and the information to maintain it was not highly available, Linus felt that making it more available would help the platform grow and encourage others to use it.





It wasn't A or B, it might have been C and I doubt it was D but could be.
Reply:Linus was inspired by Minix (an operating system developed by Andrew S. Tanenbaum) to develop a capable Unix-like operating system that could be run on a PC. Linux now also runs on many other architectures.


No comments:

Post a Comment