Monday, May 24, 2010

Anyone created their own Linux distro?

I want a specialized super-small distro (ie. %26lt;50 Mb) like D*mn Small Linux. Which kernel should I use, device driver packages, small app packages etc? I have some programming experience (C, Java, Python) and know some operating system theory but I'm no expert. Is this a project someone with intermediate skills can do?

Anyone created their own Linux distro?
You should try www.linuxfromscratch.org





I tryid the linux from scratch, and I found there was a lot of documentation that helped inform you of what you needed for certain functions from your machine.





Good luck, as it will take lots of time, and plenty of concentration, never mind the de-bugging.





When you have a distro out, let me know, I will help you test it, unless you are making it for a specific machine, which will bring down file sizes because of less drivers.
Reply:I think Linux shouldn't be that hard to modify. Maybe you could start by attending a site like Ubuntu.com or Linux.org and looking for topics that talk about modifying it's contents. However, creating you own distro by yourself might be a hard task, and you should look for a buddy to help ya out. Maybe someone for your neighborhood?





Good luck!


-Jorge Rivera

gardenia

No comments:

Post a Comment