Monday, May 24, 2010

Can I use a Linux Server as an Open Directory for XP?

Let me put things simpler. I'm building a Linux server for a client, and the client wants to have 5 terminals running Windows XP.





The way he wants his system to work is that when the XP user logs in. His complete user profile including desktop documents and any other files that are saved in his 'my documents area, are obtained from the server, yet saved locally for offline use.





This is why he wants this system:





If his computer disappears tomorrow, he can login from a new computer, and everything including the stupid little picture of his dog on his desktop will still be there on the new computer.





This goes without saying, that if he saves something on c: separately, or on another partition it will be lost with the old computer.





This is apparently native in Microsoft Server 2003, I just want to do this for free using open source software. Someone told me that you can use Samba to do this. From what I can tell, Samba only handles basic LDAP. Not complete Profiles with files.

Can I use a Linux Server as an Open Directory for XP?
You can use Samba like an NT 4 Style PDC for authentication and setup Roaming Profiles just like a MS Domain.


No comments:

Post a Comment