Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ubuntu linux installation . i am a newbie at linux and i want to install ubuntu /kubuntu linux on my winxppc?

my hard disk info is like this:


1) 80 gb-sata


2) 4 partitions and some unallocated free space


3) C:7gb -%26gt;winxp, D:25gb-%26gt;data ,similarly E: and f: ALL FAT32


4) UNALLOCTED SPACE:10GB(i have kept it aside for linux )


NOW MY QUERY IS THAT


**I WANT A DUAL BOOT SYSTEM WITHOUT AFFECTING THE "MBR"


**SO THAT I AM ABLE T REMOVE LINUX/WIN WITHOUT AFFECTING EACH OTHER


**IS THIS FEASIBLE?


** is the / boot partition necessary apart from / and swap


** ALSO I DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT "GRUB" AND IT CORRUPTING THE "MBR"


** ONE MORE THING I NEED IS "gcc compiler" ! DOES KUBUNTU COME LOADED WITH IT ?IF NOT PLEASE GUIDE ME REGARDING THE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE!





** DUE TO THESE DOUBTS(AND FEAR) ONLY I HAVE DEFERRED TO INSTALL LINUX!!!!!! SO IF ANYBODY COULD HELP ME OUT I WILL BE EXTREMELY THANKFUL





THANKS


agassi

Ubuntu linux installation . i am a newbie at linux and i want to install ubuntu /kubuntu linux on my winxppc?
I would clean out one of those 25gb partitions and install there. The ubuntu iso that you download and burn will have everyhing you need to partition (or use the partition) your choice. Follow the directions on the disk and it is fairly fail safe. Back up your data, of course. I canned XP, and do not regret it. If it really worries you, install on another drive, and use it as needed.
Reply:I can't give you the details for Ubuntu, but Mandrake was a snap. It had it's own installation wizzard and everything - all I had to do was point it to the empty partition. It even installed lilo (for dual booting).


Mandrake did require a partition or physical disk. Years and years ago I used a distribution that didn't, but I had to look hard for it.


And you don't *need* a dual boot system. The alternative is to use a boot floppy/ cd.


Also, there was never a conflict between Linux and Windows screwing eachother up - including removal of Linux (I blasted Mandrake away when I temporarily needed the disk space)


No comments:

Post a Comment