Sunday, August 2, 2009

Linux on Mac?

I want to install Linux on my iMac PowerPC G4, I found a website which lets me to download the OS( http://download.opensuse.org/ ), which version shoud I use? I think it's the one under ppc. Do I have to burn it to 5 different CDs. I don't know what I should do after burning those CDs. How can I start install it? (by holding the "c" key as the computer starts up??) The major problem is that how can I start the computer with Linux after installing, instead of the Mac OS X. You know, I have to know how to switch the systems between Mac and Linux. Also, what are the details I should notice while it's being installed?

Linux on Mac?
Crossing over from the Dark side huh :).....only kidding!


I am no MAC expert at all but I do know that if you install OpenSuse on a Windows PC it will auto sense that windows is installed and resize partitions so it will fit on. Not sure at all how it will handle MAC parition tables.


OpenSuse when installed on top of Windows will take over as the boot loader and gives you the option of selecting Windows or Linux/OpenSuse.





Hope you get it working, nice to have both worlds on the laptop!





The links below might give you some help.





cheers!
Reply:Hello, I really do not recommend installing linux unless you know how to use it. You can get any linnux os there is @linux.org, morphix.org you should down load any iso of your choice after reading the compa requirements download iso and burn to cd as bootable iso. when its done turn off to computer and boot on cd automatically at restart, bio must be set to boot cd 1st device. most of the gui iso's are installable. I recommend a linux partition for install partition. hope it helps.

marigold

No comments:

Post a Comment